In Search of Carhagouha: The Archaeological Identification of Two Early Seventeenth-Century Huron-Wendat Villages

Error message

The style function: biblio_style_cja does not exist
Journal Article

In Search of Carhagouha: The Archaeological Identification of Two Early Seventeenth-Century Huron-Wendat Villages

Bonnie Glencross1, Gary Warrick2, and Beatrice Fletcher3

Author Affiliations

1 Archaeology & Heritage Studies, Wilfrid Laurier University, 75 University Avenue, Peters Building, Waterloo, ON N2L 3C5, Canada
2 Indigenous Studies, Wilfrid Laurier University, 73 George Street, Brantford, ON N3T 2Y3, Canada
3 Department of Anthropology, McMaster University, Chester New Hall Rm. 524, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, ON L8S 4L9, Canada

https://doi.org/10.51270/45.2.158
Canadian Journal of Archaeology 45(2):158-180 (2021)

Abstract

Since 2014, the Tay Point Archaeology Project has actively investigated Ahatsistari (BeGx-76) and Chew (BeGx-9), two Huron-Wendat village sites. Archaeological and historical evidence suggest Ahatsistari and Chew are good candidates for the historically referenced villages of Carhagouha and Quieunonascaran respectively, visited by the French ca. 1615–1616 CE and 1623–1624 CE. The geographic locations, inter-village distances, and sizes of Ahatsistari and Chew correspond with historic accounts of Carhagouha and Quieunonascaran. Recovered European-made artifacts securely date Ahatsistari to the first quarter and Chew to the second quarter of the seventeenth century, matching the recorded occupations of Carhagouha and Quieunonascaran. Exceptionally high glass bead densities and unusual European trade items point to intense trade between the French and Huron-Wendat and the presence of notable European visitors at Ahatsistari. Still to be located at Ahatsistari are a triple palisade and small cabin outside the village of Carhagouha that was occupied by Samuel de Champlain, Recollect friar Joseph Le Caron, and French traders.

Résumé

Depuis 2014, le Projet Archéologique de Tay Point a enquêté sur les sites d’Ahatsistari (BeGx-76) et Chew (BeGx-9), deux villages Hurons-Wendat. Les recherches archéologiques et historiques suggèrent qu’Ahatsistari et Chew sont des bons candidats pour les villages historiquement référencés de Carhagouha et Quieunonascaran visité par les français A.D. 1615–1616 et 1623–1624. Les emplacements géographiques, les distances entre les villages, et les superficies d’Ahatsistari et de Chew correspondent aux récits ethnohistoriques de Carhagouha et de Quieunonascaran. Des artefacts récupérés de fabrication européenne datent Ahatsistari au premier quart et Chew du deuxième quart du XVIIe siècle. Ces dates cadrent bien aux occupations suggérées pour Carhagouha et Quieunonascaran. Des densités de perles de verre exceptionnellement élevées et des articles européens indiquent un commerce intense entre les Français et les Hurons-Wendat et la présence de visiteurs européens notables à Ahatsistari. La triple palissade et la petite cabane à l’extérieur du village de Carhagouha qui était occupée par Samuel de Champlain, le prêtre Joseph Le Caron, et les commerçants Français restent encore à trouver.

About the Journal  |  Editorial Team  |  Author Guidelines  |  Contact Us

The Canadian Journal of Archaeology is published by the Canadian Archaeological Association.
Aspen Woods Postal Outlet, Box 15075
Calgary, Alberta  T3H 0N8, Canada

ISSN: 0705-2006 (print)  |  ISSN: 2816-2293 (online)